Title 9: Commerce and Trade
Chapter 82: SCRAP METAL PROCESSORS
9 V.S.A. § 3021. Definitions
§ 3021. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(2) "Ferrous scrap" means any scrap metal consisting primarily of iron, steel, or both, including large manufactured articles such as automobile bodies that may contain other substances to be removed and sorted during normal processing operations of scrap metal.
(3) "Metal article" means any manufactured item consisting of metal that is usable for its originally intended purpose without processing, repair, or alteration, including railings, copper or aluminum wire, copper pipe and tubing, bronze cemetery plaques, urns, markers, plumbing fixtures, and cast-iron radiators.
(4) "Nonferrous scrap" means any scrap metal consisting primarily of metal other than iron or steel, and does not include aluminum beverage cans, post-consumer household items, items removed during building renovations or demolitions, or large manufactured items containing small quantities of nonferrous metals such as automobile bodies and appliances.
(5) "Proprietary article" means any of the following:
(A) Any metal article stamped, engraved, stenciled, or marked as being or having been the property of a governmental entity, public utility, or a transportation, shipbuilding, ship repair, mining, or manufacturing company.
(B) Any hard-drawn copper electrical conductor, cable, or wire greater than 0.375 inches in diameter, stranded or solid.
(C) Any aluminum conductor, cable, or wire greater than 0.75 inches in diameter, stranded or solid.
(D) Metal beer kegs.
(E) Manhole covers.
(F) Catalytic converters.
(6) "Scrap metal" means any manufactured item or article that contains metal.
(7) "Scrap metal processor" means:
(A) a salvage yard, as defined in 24 V.S.A. § 2241(7); or
(B) a person engaged in the business of purchasing ferrous scrap, nonferrous scrap, metal articles, or proprietary articles, whether for resale or for processing into raw material products consisting of prepared grades.
(C) "Scrap metal processor" does not include:
(i) a salvage yard described in 24 V.S.A. § 2248(e); or
(ii) a salvage yard or salvage dealer that only accepts or dismantles motor vehicles and flattens or crushes the motor vehicles for transportation to a scrap metal processor. (Added 2007, No. 195 (Adj. Sess.), § 10; amended 2011, No. 167 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. May 18, 2012.)